The APEA-AFT Health and Welfare Trust was established to provide medical benefits for their eligible members and their dependents through the collective bargaining process.
This site provides general benefit information, forms and other Trust related items. Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) and Glossary of Terms can be reviewed here.
Open Enrollment Materials
Open Enrollment materials were mailed to all participants on June 18, 2020. All forms must be completed and returned to the Trust Administration Office, postmarked no later than August 24, 2020.
Mental Health Services Now Covered
Effective January 1, 2020 Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment services are now covered under the Plan. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatments will be covered as any other condition subject to deductibles, coinsurance, and all other plan provisions, including pre-authorization requirements for all inpatient services.
Additionally, effective July 1, 2020 Behavioral Health services will be available through Teladoc.
IMPORTANT - Deadline Extension for Certain Services
Based on guidance dated May 4, 2020 from EBSA and the IRS, deadlines for certain benefit-related services have been extended, including:
- COBRA election and payment
- HIPAA Special Enrollment, such as requests for election changes due to marriage, divorce, birth of a child, changes in other coverage, and eligibility for Medicaid and/or CHIP coverage; The deadline extension does not include open enrollment or initial enrollment for new employees.
- Claim filing
- Claim appeals
The period beginning March 1, 2020 through the lifting of the COVID-19 National Emergency, plus an additional 60 days will be disregarded for determining your deadline for taking action.
IMPORTANT - CVS Caremark COVID-19 Response Update
Please read below for important updates regarding CVS Caremark and their COVID-19 response.
CVS Caremark will soon be revising some of their previously enacted plan changes in response to COVID-19.
- Effective June 15, 2020, CVS Caremark will no longer allow early refills on 30-day prescriptions for maintenance medications. At that time, claims for maintenance medications will process in accordance with your original plan design.
- As previously communicated, select prior authorizations that were set to expire between March 23 and June 30 have been extended for 90 days and the initiative will not be expanded further.
- The quantity limitations enacted to maintain access and prevent shortages of specific drugs will remain in effect as care continues to be provided to those with COVID-19. As part of this initiative, the following medications are and remain subject to quantity limitation: albuterol inhalers, chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine, Kaletra, and azithromycin.
Information Regarding COVID-19 and WPAS Offices
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and in the interest of keeping the community and our staff as safe and healthy as possible, all WPAS offices (Mercer Island, Gladstone, Anchorage, Spokane) will be closed for walk-in services effective March 17, 2020. WPAS will only be conducting business via phone, email, or fax. If you need to bring documentation or information to the office, there are drop boxes available at each of our office locations. Contact information can be found here: Contact Info.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR PACIFIC HEALTH COALITION REGARDING COVID-19 OUTBREAK
Update as of March 18, 2020:
Drive Through Testing Available – Please click here to learn more information about the testing.
Providence Hospital – Due to COVID-19, Providence Hospital in Anchorage will temporarily be considered an in-network facility from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021.
Please click here to view the most recent updates as of March 16, 2020 from the Pacific Health Coalition regarding COVID-19 outbreak. We will continue to update this announcement as we receive updates.
Information to know about COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Aetna and Teladoc have provided informational flyers about COVID-19 (coronavirus). To further read and learn about COVID-19 (coronavirus) and how to protect yourself and others, please click the links to the flyers below.
Information about Plan Services
To find more information about Teladoc and other services your Plan offers follow the link below.